Former president, first lady honored during Parents-Alumni Weekend
4/9/2011 4:43:32 PM
(April 10, 2011) A former university president and first
lady of North Georgia College & State University were honored during this
past weekend's Parents-Alumni Weekend activities with a building named in their
On Saturday, a dedication ceremony was held to rename the
former West Main Hall as the Nathaniel and Frances Fincher Hansford Hall.
|Frances Fincher Hansford, left, and Nathaniel Hansford share a laugh during comments by Mac McConnell, vice president of business and finance, during Saturday's dedication ceremony.
The Hansfords served at North Georgia from 1999 to 2005, a
period marked by significant construction projects, including the Health &
Natural Sciences Building, John H. Owen Residence Hall, and a new plant operations
Before coming to North Georgia in 1999, Nathaniel
"Nat" Hansford was dean of the School of Law at the University of
Alabama and served as visiting professor at the U.S. Military Academy, the
University of Georgia and the University of Fribourg in Switzerland. Under his
leadership, North Georgia expanded the Corps of Cadets and solidified the
university's leadership initiative and its role as a state leadership
institution. He previously served as a visiting professor at the United States
Military Academy, the University of Georgia, and the University of Fribourg in
Switzerland. Hansford served three years as a Judge Advocate General in the
U.S. Army and spent 20 years in the U.S. Army Reserves. He is a member and
former chairman of the Georgia Non-Public Postsecondary Education Commission
and a member of the Board of Trustees for the Georgia Trust for Historic
Frances Fincher Hansford is a former teacher with experience
in elementary schools, special education and mathematics. As first lady at
North Georgia, she was actively involved in the International Students
Association and attended many campus events. She serves on two state boards:
the State Botanical Garden of Georgia and the National Society of Colonial
Dames of America in the State of Georgia.
The historic West Main Hall, formerly known as the Education
Building, was built in 1895 and renovated in 2008.
|Bill Cannon, left, and chemistry professor Dr. Dan Thompson talk about projects chemistry students are working on in the newly dedicated William N. Cannon Organic Chemistry Laboratory.
Also on Saturday, William "Bill" Cannon, a 1949 North
Georgia graduate, was honored for his contributions to the university's chemistry
department with the naming of the William N. Cannon Organic Chemistry
Laboratory and Stockroom. After graduation, Cannon worked as a chemist at the
Redstone Arsenal in Alabama for two years before joining Eli Lilly and Co.,
from which he retired in 1985 after working for 33 years.
Cannon has supported the department for many years with
donations of money and materials and tireless support as the department sought
accreditation from the American Chemistry Society, which was granted last year.
Saturday night, in a separate ceremony, Cannon also was presented a
Distinguished Alumnus award by the university's Alumni Association.
Others recognized during Saturday night's banquet included:
Gerald Lord, '61, Hall of Fame; Jose Rodriguez, '73, Distinguished Alumnus;
Connie Swanson, '92, Young Alumna; Richard Ingram, '08, Ralph Colley Spirit of
North Georgia; Dr. Michelle Byrne, Distinguished Professor; and c/LTC Travis
Scott and Katie Wilensky, Paul M. Hutcherson Outstanding Student.